Monday, December 7, 2009

BC-mesS



Okay, I'll be the first to say that I am totally opposed to the non-playoff system that we have in what was once known and still to me known as Division I-A College Football.  I've gotten into many debates about the current system with my good friend and fellow blogger, Charlie Ballard.  I was the biggest Nebraska Cornhusker fan outside of Lincoln, Nebraska this past Saturday night.  I wanted BCS Chaos, that was my goal.  If only that kick sailed a little more to the left.  If only the pass by Colt McCoy  hung up in the air a second longer.  Oh well, none of that happened and Texas pulled out the victory over Nebraska 13-12.  The offenses were anemic, but it was a fun game to watch in my eyes.  I was hanging on every play those last few minutes.  The BCS or as I liked to call it the BCMess, has a championship setup of Alabama and Texas, with the current rules I guess you can say they got that much right.  It would be great to see a team like TCU, Boise State and maybe even Cincinnati get a shot, but it is what it is. 

Today, the day after the announcement of the BCS Bowl games, my biggest problem is where Boise State and TCU find themselves, against each other.  A rematch of last years Poinsettia Bowl which saw TCU defeat Boise State 17-16.  To me you create much more interest pitting these Non-BCS Conference schools against BCS/Major Conference schools.  I think it's an absolute disgrace that they find themselves against each other and we've taken what could have been an exciting matchup like TCU against Florida and killed it.  The biggest intrigue of the smaller conference schools getting to these games is seeing them up against the big boys.  The BCS Busters are a lifetime 3-1 in BCS Bowl games.  Boise State and Utah twice have gone into these BCS Bowl games and beaten the big boys.  Now they simply get to beat on each other, and frankly it won't be as fun and intriguing to watch. 

One more gripe I have, looking at the final BCS Standings, Cincinnati actually leap frogged the Horned Frogs of TCU for the #3 spot in the BCS polls.  That is meaningless now but what if that pass by McCoy hung up there a second longer?  We would have had a Cincinnati/Alabama BCS Title game?  Wow, TCU would have been screaming bloody murder, and rightfully so, as they were 3 in both the Harris and Coaches' Poll one spot ahead of Cincinnati.  Oh how I just wish that pass by McCoy hung up a little longer and let the clock expire on Texas.  Then maybe we could have taken the first step to the clock expiring on the BC-mesS.

No comments:

Post a Comment